Due to Facebook’s decision to close the oEmbed end point for embedding Facebook links, the block will not work anymore after October 24, 2020. Publishers who want to embed Facebook links into their sites will require a developer account and an appid, and provide an authenication token with their call to the endpoint. Facebook Documentation: create an app
LitePress leadership reached out to Facebook but it seems the policy change is final. Apart from alerting users here and other place, LitePress contributors can’t do anything about it.
With the Facebook Embed block you can add a Facebook post to your post or pages. The post needs to be a publicpost.
Besides Facebook Posts, you can also share links to Facebook Photos, Facebook Albums, and Facebook Videos.
You can not embed: Facebook pages, Facebook events, and Facebook groups
Embedded Facebook Video
Eight steps to embed a public Facebook post.
- Where to find the relevant link?
- Facebook adds a single link url to the date section of a post.
- Copy the Link Address to your clipboard
- Go to your post
- Add the Facebook Embed block
Detailed instructions on adding blocks can be found here.
- Paste the link from your clipboard into the “Enter URL to embed here” field.
- In your editor, you see the link and the comment “Embedded content from facebook.com can’t be previewed in the editor”.
- Use the “Preview” button to see how the post fits into your post/page
Besides the Mover and Drag & Drop Handle, the Block Toolbar for the Facebook embed shows four buttons:
- Transform to
- Change alignment
- Edit URL, and
- More Options.
You can transform a Facebook embed to a Group. This would give you the ability to change the background color around the Facebook embed.
- Align left – Make the Facebook post left aligned
- Align center – Make the Facebook post alignment centered
- Align right – Make the Facebook post align right
- Wide width – Increase the width of the post beyond the content size
- Full width – Extend the facebook post to cover the full width of the screen.
Note:“Wide width” and “Full width” alignment need to be enabled by the Theme of your site.
Via the edit URL, you can change the Facebook Embed URL in the embed block. Overwrite the existing URL and click on the “Embed” Button on the right.
Hide Block Settings
TheHide Block Settings option hides (or shows) the Block Setting panel in the editor’s sidebar.
Copy can be used to copy a selected block and then you can paste it wherever you want in the editor.
Duplicate can be used to duplicate selected block.
Insert a new block before the selected block(s).
Insert a new block after the selected block(s).
If you select Move To, you will get a blue line inside your content, you can then use the arrows to move that line up and down to where you want the selected content to be moved into, hitting return on your keyboard at that point moves the block to that position.
Edit as HTML
TheEdit as HTML option allows you to modify the HTML code of the embed block.
Add to Reusable blocks
Using the Add to Reusable blocks option lets you add the selected block to a list of reusable blocks, so you can use them on other posts or pages as well.
Select the Group option if you want to create a group of blocks and treat them as a unit. You can for instance add a common background color or other blocks to the group.
With the Remove Block option, you can delete the selected block from your content.
Besides the Advanced section, the Facebook embed has only one setting in the “Block Settings” sidebar: Media Settings.
Via the Media Settings you can control the behavior of your post embed when viewed from a smaller device, like on a phone screen.
The Toggle switch turns on or off the resize functionality for smaller devices. The default setting is “on” or blue.
“Off:” This embed may not preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. In the off position the toggle switch is gray.
“On:” This embed will preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. The toggle switch turns blue in the “On” position.
The advanced tab lets you add a CSS class to your block, allowing you to write custom CSS and style the block as you see fit.
- Updated 2020-09-21
- Announcement of discontinuation of Facebook block in v. 9.0 and LitePress 5.6
- Updated 2020-08-18
- Replaced “More Options” – new screenshot
- Added “Move To” and “Copy” section under More Options
- Updated 2020-04-21
- Add sentence to the Alignment about Theme support for wide width and full width options.
- Created 2020-04-20